This video features Dinky, a Great Dane who begs for some of his owner’s lunch. This is so funny, you can hear the desperation in his tone. Don’t let the title fool you though, the dog’s name is not really Linda. ‘Linda listen’ is another popular video of a little kid arguing with his mom to get some cupcakes. Dinky seems to be doing just that to get a piece of his Dad’s lunch!
Dinky looks endearing but begging for food is one of the most common discipline issues that dog owners face and this habit is very hard to break. Many owners also don’t realize that they are the reason behind the problem.
Sometimes it’s easiest to solve a problem by preventing it from happening. That means you should never – NEVER – give your dog food while you are eating. This may sound obvious but lots of people find it hard to resist those wide, cute eyes of their beloved canine companion. So resist the urge and find the willpower to withhold that food.
But if you are already experiencing this problem, take the following steps:
1. Ignore your dog when you are eating. If you even look at him, this will encourage the begging because you are setting him up to expect something.
2. If you are living with other people, tell them to stop giving the food from the table, food from the couch, food from the chair, anywhere really. The dog should only eat food from its bowl.
3. If you can train your dog to go somewhere else on command, or confine it to another area, this will stop it from begging.
4. Be consistent because if you slip up even once, that will give your dog motivation to keep begging.
5. If your dog is persistent, you may want to get a professional dog trainer involved to help break the habit.