Meet Nana, the Border Collie. In this video, she shows off her skills in performing amazing dog tricks. From footstalls, to walking front paw handstands, to running backwards, Nana can do it all! According to her owner, she was trained with positive reinforcement and clicker training. She’s not forced in any way, in fact, Nana loves doing her tricks and for her, ‘training’ is just a game she plays with her beloved owner.
Border Collies are known to be fun, energetic and one of the most intelligent of all breeds. Here are some fascinating Border Collie facts:
1. Old Hemp is considered to be the forefather of all modern border collies. Unlike other dogs of his kind, his herding method was quieter and less aggressive. Old Hemp fathered over 200 pups in his lifetime!
2. Border collies are skilled at a variety of tasks and jobs, but they were originally bred as sheep herders. Today Border collies are still regularly employed as shepherds and many often compete in herding competitions.
3. They are named so because they were initially raised on the border of Scotland and England. The word ‘collie’ means sheepdogs and is derived from the Scottish dialect.
4. A Border collie named Striker holds a world record for the ‘Fastest Car Window Opened by a Dog’. It took Striker 11.34 seconds to wind down a non-electric car window using his paw and nose.
5. The breed is ranked the No. 1 smartest dog breed and their intelligence demands to be applied to specific tasks. Border collies always want to herd sheep, perform agility courses or play fetch. As long as they have activities to stimulate them mentally, they are content and happy.