In general, dogs can suffer greatly from too much heat so it is highly important to keep them cool during the warm months. This frozen dog treats recipe will help you do just that. The best thing about this recipe is you don’t need a lot to make it; just watermelon (seedless), coconut milk (or coconut water) and just a little bit of honey.
All you have to do is take those three ingredients, put them in a blender and blend away! You want the result to be just like juice; then pour the liquid into some ice cube trays and freeze. That’s it!
Keep in mind that if you are feeling warm, your dog most likely feels that way too. So when you come back from a long walk, these watermelon frozen dog treats are sure to hit the spot.
Here are more tips to prevent your dog from overheating during warm weather:
1. Give your dog plenty of water at all times. Your dog’s demand for water increases as the temperature goes up, especially at noon, so make sure that you have an unlimited supply.
2. If you are keeping your dog outside, provide a shelter that has a complete shade but with adequate ventilation.
3. Don’t expose your dog’s water bowl to sunlight. The warm water will not provide the desired cooling effect for your pet.
4. If your dog has a thick coat, take him or her to the pet salon to get a summer cut.
5. Never walk your dog on a hot pavement because this will burn its paws! Also, the heat reflecting from the cement may quickly overheat any animal that is close to the ground.